Saturday, May 3, 2014

CLASS 13: Identity in the Context of Virtual Worlds

Identity in virtual worlds is a tetchy subject.  The question is how to we distinguish between reality and role-play.  People have a tendency to start pigeonholing you based on your avatar.  This is because in virtual worlds, people are distanced from having to partake in a real social interaction.  When people don’t feel like they are stifled from social pressure, it enables them to reveal unfavorable character traits.   

"The Adventuresome Female"


            When I entered into spaces as a female avatar, I began to feel the sexual oppression that males impose upon woman in real life.  They were quite open and explicit regarding their feelings towards woman.  No wonder they spend all of their life absorbed into the computer screen.  I felt as though in these chat rooms, people were basically standing around wasting there time.  I got not one ounce of meaning from anywhere except my own experimenting. 
"The Vampire Guy"


            As I broke out into the vampire role, I started taking on the language and mind state of a vampire.  People began to respond as if I was acting weird.  But was I not simply creating a purpose for the virtual space?  If they think it is awkward that I am a vampire from Hell’s Gate, but not that I am a man impersonating a woman (as they sexually objectify you) then their ideas of what is acceptable are asunder.

"The Normal Guy"



            Taking on the avatar of a robot means that I am now mechanized, no longer a human.  If my chat turns to a bunch of bleeps and bloops, people do not know how to respond.  In this sense, I like to use the robot as a build character, not one I would use to interact with others.  Just because it makes me want to build!

"The Proper Lady"


            My favorite usage of avatars is when I get to create the one I feel great kinship with.  The virtual identity that best represents my inward self.  We can’t change our true appearance, but we can fabricate one in a virtual space.  People should explore this more, but for others it does not sate.  I’ve seen extreme body modifications, and much prefer the vicarious virtual space to actual change in our physical being.

No comments:

Post a Comment